Skip to main content

PROUD DAY TO BE PARENTS :o)

I am not too sure that it gets much better than this at this stage of life. I wanted to post this yesterday, but I just ran out of time. Merrill and I received a letter informing us that LisaMarie was in the second grade math Olympics at school. Now this in and of itself is a huge accomplishment. Only the top five students from each class were chosen. So Merrill took off and I got a babysitter for MacGyver. Off we went. Now I am a little sadden to say that we did not really expect much to happen. We felt it an honor that LisaMarie had made it this far.

We got there a little early, got a good seat and sat back to enjoy the competition. Oh my, let me tell you we were on the edge of our seats after about three rounds. LisaMarie was faster than we even knew she could be. She was confident, poised and all together in control, not like her parents sitting out in the crowd. Maybe it helps to be the only girl at home with so many boys, you tend to have it more together than most....LOL. Round and round the competition went. After three misses you were eliminated and had to go sit with your class. LisaMarie held on, just doing so well. Before we knew it, 15 kids had been eliminated. She was going to win a spot for sure now. Then one by one the other children were eliminated, till it was just LisaMarie and another boy. They were flying, the questions going so fast that we could not even hear them. The kids answering so fast it was unreal. In the end, our LisaMarie only missed one question in the full hour we were there. She proudly stood there at the very end having two sticks in her hand. With all of our doubts, we stood there with tears of joy running down our faces. She sat down with the other four children. One by one their name was called as they got their ribbons.....then last the one name we never dreamed we would hear....LisaMarie, second grade math champion extraordinaire, rose to get her first place ribbon. What a wonderful feeling it was first and foremost for her and then very secondly for Merrill and I. It was an unreal feeling. Something so wonderful for our not so little girl.


LisaMarie receiving her award from Mr. Sandberg


LisaMarie with her First Place Ribbon and Medal.

On a second feel good note, last night we got to go to Super Student Awards. Again what a wonderful thing to know that your child worked very hard to get this far. In order to get Super Student of the Year, they had to get Student of the Month for seven out of eight months. This is accomplished by doing many required things. In the case of our son Joseph, he had a few goals he was working on. Each month that he did as was expected, he got Student of the Month.

Well, low and behold, wee get another letter informing us that both LisaMarie and Joseph qualified for Student of the Year. Again it was another shining moment for Merrill and I. Here is LisaMarie assisting her younger brother, Joseph across the stage so they could both receive their award. Many people in the crowd clapped for her. She is such a wonderful sister to each of her brothers.

The second picture is both Joseph and LisaMarie, proving that she is still a sister first...LOL!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Lisa Marie I just wanted to say good Job on your award for math keep up the great work you are a Awesome Young Lady .we are looking foward to seeing you in Aug at the family get together. Uncle Val
Anonymous said…
Wow ! Fabulous ! Great day to be a parent !

Cindy
Anonymous said…
did Lisa Marie and Joseph receive our "congratulations" email card?

if not.. let me know.. I'll send it again...

that is so great... so great... what did Joseph do to receive his award? I just love that boy!

you and Merrill are just so incredible

JG
Anonymous said…
Holy cow!!!!!!!! That is fantastic! What patience and tenacity as well
as skill, to deal with the stress and kick ass at the end!!!! Yeah for
her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day!
Debbie Block
Anonymous said…
I am SO proud of Lisa Marie and Joseph...and Berta and Merrill for a job well done. It brought tears to my eyes!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!

Tari
Nevadatab said…
Congratulation to Lisa Marie and Joseph and a wonderful family! Keep up the good work and continue to awe your family and fans!! Terri
Rene said…
Wow! This is such a wonderful moment. I am so glad you were able to be there to see her accomplishment. Congratulations LisaMarie! And to Joseph too!

Hugs!
Rene
Tommy's Mom
Anonymous said…
Oh Wow!! What great accomplishments!!!!! I couldn't be prouder if they were my own kiddos :-)

Lots of hugs,

Dawna
Anonymous said…
Fabulous!!!!!!! I was almost jumping up and down for her and you both. Wonderful!!!!!!!! I wish I knew she had the math skills, I could have borrowed her to help me with my nursing math!!!!!!

Wonderful!
Tom
Anonymous said…
That is wonderful. Gosh I remember her when she was just a baby. Where did the time go??

Nancy
Anonymous said…
Congrats on all the good stuff happening. I remember how happy your where when Lisa Marie was born. I feel like I have a history with her.
Anonymous said…
Thats wonderful.

Gary
Anonymous said…
Lisa Marie I am sooooooooo proud of you. You are always showing me that you have great skills such as using the chucker for Hobbs. Now I see you have great math skills too. Way to go!
Char
Anonymous said…
Absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Congrats to Lisa Mariie ... math wiz! Further, congratulations to Joseph and Lisa Marie on their other honors!
Hugs!
Diana H.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations to LisaMarie and Joseph. Reading this brought a huge smile to my face and tears to my eyes as well. I know mom and dad are proud of you both and you deserve it.
Lynne
Anonymous said…
FANTASTIC!!! How awesome for both kids! You all should be very proud.
Anonymous said…
Lisa Marie, Awesome Job! You have made your family SO proud. Keep up the GREAT work, being good at math is SO important.
Congrats to you and Joseph, as well. I am sure you are excited about "student of the year"
**hugs**
Janet
Anonymous said…
Roberta Merrill and Lisa Marie congrats to all of you. Lisa Marie I was horrible at math, I am proud of you for doing so well! You are a smart young lady that is for sure. Congrats to you and Joseph for your Student of the Year awards too. What a proud moment for the Simon gang Wendy
Anonymous said…
Your children are amazing Roberta! It's down to the exceptional support they get from the 2 of you. well done Lisa Marie and Joseph.

Julie xxx
Anonymous said…
Congratulations to Lisa Marie for a wonderful math award and to Lisa Maria and Joseph for student of the year! Wonderful stuff! And congratulations to the whole amazing family for being so supportive of these two stars!
Love, Suzanne
Anonymous said…
Wow...congratulations LisaMarie...and mom and dad! What an accomplishment!
Anonymous said…
You go girl. I admire what you and Merrill have done with your lives. You are angels. I have your page bookmarked and I am keeping up with your family. Joann
Anonymous said…
WOW GREAT JOB to the whole family! You all have done a wonderful job.
Sheila
Anonymous said…
HOW EXCITING!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Dora
Anonymous said…
way to go--
proud of you all...


MHD
Anonymous said…
Please give LisaMarie my congratulations. I know you are so very, very proud of her. I so very happy for you and the whole family. I'm glad Mother's Day is extra special for you now. Nothing can make you happier than to see your children succeed. Also congrats on your new son. God is smiling down on all of you for sure.
Anonymous said…
Way to go! Congratulations to both Joseph and Lisa Marie for their student of the year honors. Lisa Marie you did a fantastic job on your math competition. I am so proud of you. You are totally awesome! Keep up the good work. Love ya, Aunt Tammy

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i