Skip to main content

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!!

How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over.

My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of.

How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of those did not. Although many might think of their children first, I am instantly drawn to thoughts of my mama. She had no faith in Merrill, she really just did not like him. But in the last three years of her life, she fell in love with him and he knew it. God helped her and she let Him assure it that all would be well.

Naturally we both reflect on our two children, gone yet always a part of our lives. Malachi and Jason are the reason we have continued to adopted the children that society seems to feel is just not as important as the rest. Little do they know that many times they are standing in the presence of angels on earth. I feel that God chooses just a few lucky parents to raise these children. I am so thankful that He has chosen us. All of our children have come to us by way of adoption. Many well meaning people sell this short saying that we do not really understand, maybe we have not felt all that they have felt, but we have felt the horrors of cancer. Pain is pain. Who really has the right to decide whose pain is worse....in the end, it all hurts.

How does one really express that the reality of it all is that I have everything I could have ever dreamed of? Both of our families moved a lot when were were growing up. We wanted stability. Here we are in the same home now for nearly 18 years. All of our children have been raised in this home for at least part of their lives. They all call this home. This means more to me than anyone can really begin to imagine. We hope to live out the remainder of our lives right here, the place where our children all call home.

We both wanted a lot of children. We faced infertility head on and again lost. BUT, it did not stop us from doing what we wanted to do and that was to have children, a lot of children. Today that number is 17 and counting. We no longer think about if we are done or not. You see, God is in control and when He says we are done, well, then we will take Him at his word. Until then we trust that He will provide us with all we need to meet the needs of the children He sends our way. There are things we have wished for, things that would have made this job a little easier, but I can honestly say that we have wanted for nothing that we have really needed. He promised to supply all of our needs and that He has done, over and over.

We are rather old fashion in many, if not all ways. Our vows were old fashion. We have put them to the test and they have stood the test of time. Merrill had back problems early one and I stood by him. He faced unemployment and together we stood united. I have given him a run for his money in the health issues. He has been there when they were not sure I would make it through the night, but he stayed. He stood by me and he took care of me. He still takes very good care of me. What more could any person want than their very own knight in shining armor?

We are one in every way I can think of. We do nothing alone. We are a team. Right or wrong, good or bad, we do what we feel is right and we do not look back. We have made more than our fair share of mistakes, but we forge forward and we continue to hold fast in our faith in God and then our faith in each other.

No one knows what tomorrow holds, but thank the Good Lord Merrill and I know who holds tomorrow. We will continue to stand fast, together. Who knows, maybe we will be one of the blessed few that will actually see another 30 years together. If not, I look forward to every minute that we will continue to share, together, one day at a time.

I love you Merrill....I knew it June 30, 1978 and I know it even more today.

All My Love To the Very Man Of My Dreams, Roberta

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!!! How awesome. 30 years. What a HUGE milestone. I'm sorry mom's not here to witness this day and to see how truly perfect Merrill and you are together. Daddy would have loved to have seen this day too. Congratulation's you two. I wish I could find someone that was half as perfect for me as y'all are for each other. I'm glad you two have each other and all the love you share. Love ya sissy. Thanks for being such a great bro in law Merrill. Love ya both, Tammy
Anonymous said…
Congrats Roberta and Merrill. Hawk and I celebrated our 30th last October. I, too, feel very lucky. Wishing you at least 30 more years of life together.

Thanks for sharing with me - I always learn from you and your thoughts!

Take care, Love Paula
Anonymous said…
Congratulations...Thanks for sharing...God Bless you all...
Anonymous said…
Congratulations...Thanks for sharing...God Bless you all...
Anonymous said…
Roberta and Merrill,
Happy 30th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Tom
Anonymous said…
awwww...........Happy Anniversary!!!! My mom and would dad would have had there 50th right now if hadnt passed 3 years ago....You both are wonderful people and so loving.....
Dora
Anonymous said…
That was lovely. You are so adept with words. Many more happy years. Karen
Anonymous said…
Merrill and Roberta,

What a milestone!! Most couples don't accomplish this wonderful occasion. Love to both of you.
Maire
Tammy Martin said…
Happy Anniversary Merrill, ROberta, and the entire Simon family. Your family is an inspiration and a joy to be a friend to. May you all be hugely blessed and know that I support and love you all.
Anonymous said…
Wow! Congratulations!!!!! Give me a call sometime this week too will you? I hope you had a great 4th. Suzanne
Anonymous said…
Kevin and I's 23rd anniversary was July 6 - can you believe how fast it went by???!??!???

Have a nice day,
Debbie
Anonymous said…
Roberta and Merrill

HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...

you should write a marraige manual.. 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anissa's wedding is in 10 days.. everytime I practice my Poetry Reading for the ceremony.. my stomach shakes and tears well up..

okay... again.. happy happy aniversary

joseph
Anonymous said…
Congratulations you two...Deb and I are 10 days ahead of you, but three years behind! (Did you figure that out? June 20th 1981) June was a great month! Micah is getting married in August...so we are trying to pull all the ends together! Yikes...
Love you guys,
Dave
Anonymous said…
It was just wonderful to read. I sure do enjoy your words and how you put your thoughts on paper. Wish I could do that. I love you and thanks for keeping me informed.


Bob Baumann

p: 972.490.9797
f: 972.490.9798
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary. Life is so good when you still thoroughly enjoy each others company. I feel bad for people who are not blessed with this special gift. Congratulations.

Later,
Kris
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! I think you are an awesome couple. God has well placed you two together. I am looking forward to working together again and catching up. I sill owe you Adeles.

Love,
Jan
Anonymous said…
Oh Roberta... you are sooo cute and funny. Happy Anniversary
Anonymous said…
Happy 30th
Anonymous said…
Congrats on 30 yrs Roberta
Anonymous said…
Wow, 30! that's incredible.

Juliex
Anonymous said…
Happy 30th Anniversary!
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary Roberta! God has truly worked wonders through you and Merrill and your wonderful family. God's blessings for many more wonderful years!
Anonymous said…
In a world where most marriages fail --yours is truly a gem! Congratulations on your 30 years together!

And OH MY! A baby!!! How wonderful God really is! You are a great testimony!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations Roberta.
Anonymous said…
Happy 30th Karen
Anonymous said…
Happy Happy Happy 30th, to you and your wonderful husband
Anonymous said…
Happy anniversary
Anonymous said…
Congratulations.....Wow !!

Thanks for sharing

Wendy
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your 30th anniversary! I assume you were home by that time. Sure hope your surgery went well and you are recuperating satisfactorily.

I've been extremely busy with my Mom and her continued eye problems. She is nearly blind at this point, but will not give in and go to Assisted Living. She's hoping that her eyesight will get better. We'll just see how that turns out.

Hope you all have a safe and happy summer.
Anonymous said…
You and Merrill are perfect together because you are willing to work together and overcome any obstacles placed before you. You let your love for and in each other join hands with God and you walk together through any storms.

Congrads to you both and to your whole family. You make a difference.

Love and hugs, Tari

Popular posts from this blog

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i