Skip to main content

Merrill and I Get Away


Merrill and I were able to get away for a few days this past weekend. We had so much fun. The winter months are just the best for us. I love the snow so very much, so anytime we can spend time in the snow is a great time. This go around we chose to just plan two main activities. We did our snowmobile riding. I am not sure how we came about to take our first snowmobile ride many years ago, but we knew we both loved it. This time we took a backroad type of trip. It was nothing like the one we were able to take with friends a few years ago, but it was still a lot of fun. We went up to Hope Valley and it was really beautiful. We will have to add this to our list of places we love to go to.




The next day Merrill and I got up and just decided to do whatever we wanted to do. Those that know us well would not be surprized by the fact that we spent several hours just going to thrift stores. It is something I enjoy doing and believe it or not, Merrill actually gets into it when the time is right. Then we just kinda looked at each other and said lets drive to Sacramento and eat at one of our favorite places, Joe's Crab Shack. It is always a good time when we can enjoy seafood. For those of you lucky enough to be near a Joe's Crab Shack, I encourage you to go try it, if you haven't already. It is like a seafood party.

On Sunday, we had one more thing that we really wanted to do....a Dog Sled Ride. WOW!!! I have to admit that when we got there, I was a little concerned about those dogs. I mean I have never been a small person, but Merrill is just down right HUGE. Being me, I expressed this concern to the very nice man who owned the entire operation and he said not to worry. He explained the entire process and told me that the dogs would have no problem taking us for a wonderful ride. So I chose to trust him and then went on to have the time of my life.

Merrill and I were lucky enough to take the sunset ride. Oh my, how can I even begin to share with you how beautiful it was. I mean I love snow and to be out in the cold, in the snow, riding carefree and the sun setting behind the beautiful mountains of Squaw Valley. It was breathtaking. The pictures do not really do it justice, but here they are.



Getting ready to go


All bundled up with Merrill

What a ride this was.


Break time for the dog...pure beauty with the sunset.


As you can see, Merrill and I had a wonderful time away. We also have a huge surprise for the kids but we had to get home first. We headed back home ofter the dogsled ride. I will try to get the surprise up later. It was just great for the children.

Comments

Ayden said…
Oh Roberta that sounds just FANTABULOUS! :) Ayden, if he were up, and saw the pics would say "woof, woof". :) Glad you and Merrill are able to get some together time!

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i