Skip to main content

JUST TRYING TO CATCH MY BREATH

As I have stated before, I am not sure why people still come here to visit. I get so far behind and then I try to catch up. It is a never ending cycle. The other big thing is I feel that I need to post pictures, but I know that is not true. It is all about how I feel I guess.

While Merrill and I were able to get away for a few days in February, I did not really take the time blog about what all has really been going on. We have been through some really trying times to say the least. On Super Bowl Sunday, Merrill tripped over a garden cart and broke his kneecap. Now mind you, leave it to Merrill to really do it right, he not only broke it, he punctured it from underneath and ended up in surgery that required a bone graph to fix it all. Sadly he has had a rather long recovery, in part due to his sheer size and has had to be on catastrophic leave until around June 1. He has not been able to drive, bend his leg or even dress himself. He is now getting better and has the brace totally off. He is well on his way to a full recovery....Praise the Lord.

The fun did not stop there. Right after our little getaway, Montana went into the hospital for his soft palate repair. While he did in fact stay for two days, he did really well with it all. Now we are waiting for hard palate repair. I think that will be in about two more months.

Before we could take a break, it was pretty much decided that seven of our boys would need surgery...lets just say.."boy" surgery. So because we do things in a big way, Merrill and I just said "let's do it all at once". It was all falling into place when Micah was sent to the hospital with an infection in his neck glands. He was there for three days and then sent home. He was home two days and went back in for three more. How can this be happening? So many hospital stays at once. Wait, there is more!!

So the boys did in fact have their surgeries and for the most part it all went really well. We had a few that had mild complications, but nothing that was not handled at home. Even when we were busy doing all of the above, we had to deal with negative interactions with the twins social worker. The bottom line for us is she did not do her job so she has tried to turn it on Merrill and I. The good news is that we have had an outpouring of support from the social workers that know us and deal with us in an ongoing capacity. It has all been okay.

Montana was referred to a pediatric Neurologist who determined that he needed to sleep. If you follow us at all on facebook, then you know that he never sleeps....LOL. He was put on a compounded medication. The first time we gave it to him, he was rushed to the hospital the next morning. It was a very hard time for us. It was determined that he had a fast moving infection and was put on high powered antibiotics. He was in the hospital for four days.

During that time he was put on the medication to make sure that he was okay with it and that it did not hurt him at all. The only thing we needed to do was to increase the dose as it was not strong enough for him. So we came home on Monday and that night gave him double the dose. The next thing we knew he was being rushed back to the hospital and then sent to a Reno hospital due to and OVERDOSE of the medicine. Again, we were there for four days. The medicine was not compounded correctly and he was getting way to much. That has to be every parents nightmare. Again we give God the Glory that he is okay and we are back home.

The funny thing, the afternoon we came home, I ended up with Micah in ER with a complication from his surgery. I was able to laugh and to see the humor in the situation. Good news, we came back home the same day. I am not sure why the road we are traveling right now is rather hard, but in each and every day there is always a bright spot. It is nice we can laugh at a lot of it, but we have also cried more than our fair share of tears.

The road ahead is still long. Merrill is not back at work and I am so far behind it is not funny, but one day at a time, one hour at a time if need be and it will all get back to where it needs to be.

Thanks for checking in on us. I will try to get back here more often. Who knows...maybe pictures will follow soon. Hugs to each of you.

.

Comments

Tammy said…
Sissy~you are an amazing woman. I don't know how you do all you do but I know that I for one am super impressed. I hope someday I can be half the woman you are. I love you sissy.

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i