Skip to main content

GOODBYE GAYLE



This is a hard post to write. We said goodbye to our last parent on April 21. Gayle Simon ended her earthly journey, but oh how happy she was as she started her eternal journey. Merrill and I feel certain we will see her in Heaven on day, walking those streets of gold. Who knows, my guess is that Gayle will be running and skipping her way around Heaven. Her earthly body caused her such pain and in many ways was nearly useless, but she made the best of it.





While she and I did not always see eye to eye, I have to tell you that she had more sheer guts and determination that anyone I have ever known. She sure did life "her way". With the power of only a few words, she had the power to get things she wanted out of people  who did not want to do whatever it is she wanted done. Now mind you, that is not always a good thing but it was her thing.





I would have laid money on her going first...I know, sad but true. She just had a host of medical issues. Not Gayle...my mama went first, so young at only 58. Merrill's dad went second, in 2001 just three months to the day after we lost Jason. My daddy came from a family that is known for long life, but he went on at 80. Then there was Gayle. She just keep on keeping on. She turned 82 in January. Sadly, do to many things, we were not able to get home to see her...then our life just got more crazy.



We took most of the children to California when she had a stroke. Again, sadly we just did not make it in time. Merrill's siblings were with her when she passed away. We got there about 45 minutes later. I am thankful that they waited for him. I am so thankful for the hour or so they spent in her room saying their goodbyes. I was not allowed to have that time with either of my parents. I think that is a much needed time in the healing process.

It is funny, we never think we are going to loose someone and then we do. We think in our human way that they will be here when we need them or when we want to have a chat with them...and then they are not. We know in our hearts that life will end, but in our head it is never going to be anytime soon.

I think we need to stop and say I love you just a bit more, reach out and touch more often, tell them you care and hand out those hugs. So that when the end does arrive you do not have regrets. Easier said than done. It all takes work...but in the end, the rewards will be great.

You are missed Gayle. Your touched lives in your own way. We are all a bit better for knowing you...each in our own way.




.

Comments

marshal said…
we all loved you grandma may you rest in peace and be happy of all the troubles you have finally left behind
Anonymous said…
I am sorry, very sorry. She was a sweet lady, handful at times but she touched my heart. =*(
Tammy said…
Losing a loved one is always so hard. I know Gayle was difficult at times but she did have a very giving and loving side. I know that she is resting easy in God's arms, free of all her health issues. We are all going to be reunited someday in heaven.
Jenna said…
Hi
my name is Jenna and I came across your site. I am sorry for you loss. It is always hard when someone passes away. U are a wonderful family. In fact you are wonderful, loving, caring and kind parents. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and I love it when people sign my geustbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i