Skip to main content

EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER



The past few weeks have been one heck of an emotional roller coaster ride. Joey has been in residential treatment since August. It has been so hard on him as it is his third go around. Mental health issues in children are just devastating for all involved. My heart breaks for him more than most will ever know.

Well, as part of his plan, he was to go into a step down type of program this time. This is to help to insure his chance at being successful coming home. We had waited, we had planned, we had it all worked out. Then there was no bed. So his "team" decided he was just going to once again discharge to home. Really!!! So what in their wildest dreams made them think he was going to find success this go around? How was it to be any different than the other two times?? Why were they playing with a child's life??

Thank goodness for people who have traveled this road before us. Thank goodness for the parents who refuse against all who have an opinion, to give up and give in. Once again I had to fight the very system that was supposed to help our child. I placed a call to The Governor's Office. My goodness, that got the ball rolling. All of a sudden, I was thrust into the fast lane of life.

A bed became available at the very learning home that we wanted him to go into. He was ready to start the discharge process, but this mama had to jump through all the hoops first. Day after day I have driven to Reno to do everything that needed to be done. At home I was collecting all the needed documentation that needed to be collected. Even Merrill was in on the action, copying all that needed to be copied for me.

I had to go to his new school and get him enrolled there. Meet the players who would be in his new school life. Also search high and low for all the parts of the uniform he was now going to wear. As a trooper, I got it all done. I feel nearly unstoppable when it comes to the needs of the children.

Then yesterday I went to check him out of the residential treatment facility and check him into the learning home. Then we had several hours of more paperwork, meeting people and getting Joey settled. He was okay, but as he should have been, he was afraid, he was scared. To be honest, so was I. How can he keep this up? How can he keep being such a brave boy?

Then "it" happened. He broke down and I had to be the strong person. He begged me not to leave him. He promised to be good. He said he just wanted to go home with his family.

How my heart broke for him!! In all of my time raising our children, being the parent is not always the easiest person to be. Encouraging Joey and telling him it will all be okay when no one knows if it will be or not. Will he ever be totally okay? No matter how hard he tries, do people ever really "beat" emotional issues that have driven them to where they are today?

All I know is I am worn out. My body hurts and my eyes have cried more tears that I thought I would cry. We are not at the end of the road, we have just taken a turn at the bend. 

Joey is once again getting settled in and I am starting to learn the new routine of what must take place. We will both do all that we need to do. He is excited about his new school and that is a good thing. To be honest, I liked the new school also. It will be a great place for him to learn.

I will cry a few more tears, my heart will break a bit more, but we will travel this road that very few will ever understand. More than that, many do not care to understand and that is the hardest part.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA