Skip to main content

BITTERNESS...Not from God

Oh my this is a hard post to post. It is about bitterness. Yes, BITTERNESS. It is an ugly word. It even sounds ugly. It is not how I wish to feel or even for someone to say...that Roberta, She is a bitter person. Yet, I have to admit, bitterness got a hold of me and I am working now to break free of it. I feel that it is not a reflection of the Saviour that I serve, but more of the evil that I want to run from.

Church, I was a child who was raised in church. That is the wonderful thing about growing up in the South, church. They are everywhere. No one has a hard time finding a church to go to or friends to go with. They have things called Revival's and during a revival, you go all week, every day and no one thinks a thing about it. I miss that so much.

Church, we were "reorganized" right out of our church. We have not been to church in 9 months. Funny thing about our family, we stick out like a sore thumb. We can't just slip in the back pew and no one notice. We loved our church. We loved the early service. We could get up, get everyone dressed and get to church. It worked for us and it worked for the kids. Then that all changed and we could not really make the later service work. So we had no where to go.

Kids, they have missed church. They have missed all that goes with belonging to a church and going to church. They have missed camp, VBS, Youth Group, being on the Children's ministry team...all of those kind of things.

Bitterness...it reared its ugly head when it involved the children. We have a baby who is a year old and he has only been in church a handful of times. The twins have only been once.  Bitterness, it hardens the heart..the same heart where Jesus lives. That does not go together at all.

Blessings...a dear friend suggested I look at the blessings that were coming from other people and change my focus.

I did.

We have made friends who come over to our home and help us with the things Merrill NEVER has time for, I mean really, he is a daddy to 13 kids still at home four of whom are 3 and under and four more who are total care. We have a dear lady, whom we did not know before hand, that makes dinner for this family once a week. Talk about a BLESSING!!! She seems to always choose a night when I am running around in circles going nowhere fast.

Another friend has help us with childcare here in our home, as in blessing us with the funds to afford extra help. We had our home cleaned from top to bottom, again funded by someone who loves this family. My goodness, another church came out and sanded and stained our playground and cleaned up the "winter" from our yard.

Camp, while they did not get to go to church camp, the Military took 6 of them, three of those who are total care, and sent them to Camp Ronald McDonald for 6 days. There were real blessings. Kids who would never get to go to camp otherwise got to go to camp and be loved for who they are...not the mold they don't fit into.

God has ALWAYS provided for our family. He has always been there as we have done our level best to honor His calling. And while we have not been in church, there have been a few church members who have stayed in touch with us.

It looks as if the church is going to "reorganize" us back into the early service sometime next month.. While we have not been told this, we have "heard it through the grapevine". We hope and pray it is true. You see, there is not a church on every corner here in Northern Nevada. It is not easy to find a church family that loves this family for who they are...exotic for sure, but still full of God's children.

The bitterness, well with patience, love, support of friends and prayer, it is leaving. My life must be a witness to the very children that I have been blessed to call my own.  While on the surface I started to crumble, the foundation that was laid so many years ago at The North Dallas Church of the Nazarene, is a firm foundation. The Christian schools my parents sent me to were not a waste of their time and money. I was prayed for by such Saints as Jess and Rosie Tanner and Elmer and Bessie Woods. My parents, while not perfect showed me the way. I will stumble and I will fall, but as long as I can, I will get back up and dust myself off and go after all that I believe in again.

Thanks for checking back.


.

Comments

Tammy said…
Sissy, I have to say I always love the things you blog about however, I think this is one of your finest. I'm so totally in agreement with you. We are who we are because of our parents. Because we ALWAYS went to church no matter what was going on at home. Because we were fortunate enough to go to Christian schools where Bible class was NOT an elective, but a REQUIREMENT. We did have saints who prayed over our family every day. Not only the ones you mentioned, but the Lemmons and the Moores and others who loved us in spite of our shortcomings. I'm so sorry that the Church, the people who are supposed to be there for you, the people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk, let you and your beautiful, precious family down. They have no idea what a blessing your family is. It is THEIR loss. I pray that you will get back in church and that it will be soon. I know God smiles down on all you and Merrill do and the wonderful people y'all are. I pray the bitterness goes and that JOY fills your heart and soul. I'm so PROUD to be your sister and some day those same people, church members, who rejected your family will come to realize what an incredible honor it is to have your family in their church. Love you sissy. :)
Karen said…
So sorry, Roberta... What more can I say? This church, this bride of Christ, still runs mascara, wobbles the walk, and forgets to check her teeth... we are not perfect, that is for sure. I'm sorry you've seen the ugly side, like when the bride's skirt gets caught in her panties! :) But, let me and you both remember, that God is not the same as His bride. I'm sure thankful for that! I don't know what else to say, except I miss you all...and I love our church - the ugly-at-times "people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk" folks, that includes me. It's not perfect, I'm not perfect, and I'm so sorry that has hurt you, my dear friend. I'm praying for restoration...and a continual easing of your bitterness. Your post was poignant... Praying for you all. Love, Karen
Anonymous said…
I love reading your blog. Your honesty as you look at things is amazing to me. I feel your hurt as I read your words and I also feel how you are ready to move past this pain.

Church is never suppose to hurt and I am so sorry that it hurts in this case. I know in my heart you and your family will prevail.

We will be praying for you.
Tari

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i