Skip to main content

A DOWN SIDE TO ADOPTIONS

Today my heart has been heavy. I am not really sure why I have started thinking about this subject. Maybe the reason it has started to weigh heavy on me is that I have sure been enjoying Jericho these last few days. Jericho is a boy with many challenges. He has Cornelia de Lange and to be honest, it is a rather nasty syndrome to have. In most cases it includes things like small stature, overgrowth of all body hair, profound retardation, heart problems and digestive problems, shortened life expectancy and on and on the list can go. Bottom line for us, Jericho is just that, Jericho.


He can be a very funny boy. He can be loud and obnoxious. He makes the funniest sounds that you can imagine and yes, he does it at the most inappropriate times. He can drink a persons Starbucks so fast you wonder why you spent the 5 dollars on it. He can down a soda faster than you can walk away from it. You learn how to hide things as he loves getting into everything. Poison Control is now on speed dial. They know us by his name.

But none of that explains why adoptions have a down side. You see, Jericho has a sister. Her name is not important. She loved him. We could tell how much she cared for him by her gentle nature towards him. She asked wonderful questions about him when she came to visit. It was a joy to watch her with him.


The two of them had been separated. They were placed into different adoptive homes. The reasons are not important. It might have been because it was unknown if a family would step forward to adopt Jericho. His sister on the other hand is a healthy, beautiful and typically developing young lady.
His sister has been adopted into another home. I am sure she is loved and well cared for. We got to see her towards the end of last year. She had changed. She no longer hugged Jericho. She no longer asked questions about him. She seemed to have grown detached from him. It has been evident that her adoptive home has not encouraged her to have a relationship with this one time brother of hers.


This is truly a downside to adoptions. Two siblings forever separated by something that was never either of their faults. This happens. The system tries to keep siblings together, but there are times it just does not work out. In this case the part that hurts is this young lady just needed to know it is okay to still love this brother that she loved so much. That in loving him she would not take away from the family that now loves her and calls her their own. Jericho may never fully understand that this sister of his is no longer in his life, but she will always know that in gaining her new family, she totally lost her brother. My prayer for her is that one day she finds him again and learns to love again all that he has to offer.





Comments

Anonymous said…
#I really do believe that it is sad that adoptions can go that way and I agree that I hope that one day they can find their way back to each other.
Anonymous said…
Great Pictures of Jericho and yes, at times this is a harsh reality. I will be home soon. Miss you guys.
Anonymous said…
Hi. You do not know me. I have followed your blog for about two years now. I enjoy how you share about real life. When I read this post, my first thought was how sad. Then I thought about how lucky Jericho is to have found a family like you. I have to think that these kids are hard to find homes form. Thank goodness for you and your husband.

God Bless you and your family,
Misty Lee
Anonymous said…
It is sad that the ties have been severed for someone who was really loved by his sibling, but keep the prayers going so that maybe some day they may be be able to be with each other once again and in their hearts forever.
Anonymous said…
Ok, so i dont leave many comments on your blog... you know that Roberta, but i cant keep my mouth shut on this one... i hate this story because the reality of it is, it is just that... reality... this little girl loved i mean loved her brother so much, she would sit there for hours with him in the bean bag chair and watch tv and snuggle up to him, whenever he got up, she got up, whenever he did anything she was his "sidekick" such a beautiful little girl had so much love for her brother... then it all went to shit... i was at this "get together" and i was looking forward to seeing her, but then when i did she was a completely different person... she put on a fake smile and tried so hard to be happy around her brother but it was so fake, it was so sad to see such an innocent little girl brain washed... sorry to say it like that but she is BRAINWASHED. it was so sad that i had tears in my eyes watching all of this. i do have to say i am glad i never saw the pictures of the 2 of them together because they are probably far worse then the mental picture i will always have of this night. i remember when it was Jericho's time to take his shower and she wanted to come down and watch how i took care of her brother, asking me questions, wanting to help me and i explained to her that it was no longer her job to take care of him that he has many people helping with his care and people that truly love him... i hope one day she will come around again... i miss her and i miss seeing her with her brother...
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry for Jerico and I'm sorry for y'all but most of all I'm sorry for her, Jerico's sister. I too got to witness first hand how much she loved and cared for him and somehow someone has ripped that away from her. When we live in a society that will allow a family to adopt a child with no regard to how they raise that child with social awareness of others and no regard to a blood bond that should never have been broken then what can we expect from our judical system but only the worse. My heart goes out to you, your family and Jerico but more so it goes out to his sister for she may never know what she has truly missed out on. I love ya sissy. Love, Tammy

BTW great pics of Jerico!!!

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i