Skip to main content

SCHOOL TIME AGAIN

Here we are, it is school time. No time to stop for anything. Meetings, homework, teachers calling, automated school calls, IEPs, nurses from school calling, notebooks to fill out, lunches to make. It just never stops. The kids are excited. The calendar fills up faster than fast. It is just on turbo speed at all times.

Funny, it seems that all of our children love school. They get up ready to go and they just like being there. This year the school hours changed and I am really not liking that at all. The younger children do not leave until 8:30 and if you can even believe it, they get home at 4:45 pm. Merrill beats them home most days.Of course just to keep you on your toes a bit more, we now have late starts every Thursday morning. So they all go one hour later. At least last year they were on Fridays and that was better all around.

All of this change is for the betterment of the education system. I have to wonder that when you are sitting at number 50 as a state in education, how will it really effect the children in the long run. Will we move up to....let's say.....47. In the meantime, homework seems to go later, kids seems to be hurried more, mom is not getting dinner on the table at 5:30 as before. Change. I guess the only real thing we have all come to expect is change.

The up side is always that they love school. Back To School night was last night. They were excited to go. Each teacher was greeted as if they have known them for their entire lives. The smiles were a mile wide. The book fair is also at school so each child got the treasured book to love, unless you are Joey and then you got the "must have" poster and it did not even include Superman.

It was a strange evening though. This time we met on the blacktop outside of the school. No chairs, just parents standing while each teacher introduced themselves. It was cold and really not at all comfortable. But to their credit, rather fast.

So we are off. A new school year, children a bit older, wiser and ready. A new baby to brag about to all that will listen. I am looking forward to a great year.

.

Comments

Erica said…
"I have to wonder that when you are sitting at number 50 as a state in education, how will it really effect the children in the long run. Will we move up to....let's say.....47."

This cracked me up! Dare to dream, huh! (especially in this state!)
Mare said…
I too love the comment "sitting at number 50...Will we really move up to...let's say...47." Hilarious Roberta!!!

Actually, 3 years ago I was so frustrated with the school system here in Nevada..."no child left behind!" They're right in the sense that many are pushed ahead when not even ready. My daughter was a prime example. As a result of what I felt was a failing system, I decided to homeschool my children. Not an easy task.

So much bureaucracy!! They actually have tried to acuse me of not teaching my children....Seriously! You should have left my child behind, because now I'm cleaning up after you!

Sorry, had to vent.
Missing you...been home sick...don't worry...I'll get your syringes.

;-D
Marylea (Mare)

Popular posts from this blog

JUNE 30, 1978

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY!!!! How does one even begin to express the joy that I feel in my heart and soul for being blessed to have been married to the most wonderful man for 30 years? The bottom line, I can't Anything I write here is a feeble attempt to try to convey what is in my heart. My cup truly runneth over. My wishes, that both of my parents were alive to see this day. My daddy came close, my mom not so. They had their doubts about Merrill and in the end they both knew that he was all that I ever really needed and in him I could really have everything I ever dreamed of. How does one really reflect over the past 30 years of life. Life in and of itself is just amazing. We all go through up and downs. We all face day to day challenges that at times we are not sure we will ride it out. Many times we lose the battles, but in the end we really win the war. We have had to say goodbye to so many people that we loved and cherished. Some of those went in a proper time frame, many of tho

TOTALLY AMAZING NEWS

WOW, first of all, I am in shock with the email that I have received. It is unreal that someone even thinks this highly about this family. We see us as a mom and a dad to many children...that is true....but something this wonderful...well, I am not sure about that. Rather than try to explain it, here are excerpts from the email.... The nationwide famous and wealthy PEW Foundation contacted us at Sierra Association of Foster Families.. they asked us to give them info on a family in Nevada who has adopted children and who is AN OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FAMILY in our state.. I wrote the nomination about you two.. and your family WHEN you win.. you will be invited ( i'm sure all expenses paid) to Capital Hill to receive the CONGRESSIONAL COALITION ADOPTION ANGEL AWARD and a big dinner with the politicians including maybe... First Lady Laura Bush..so.. you are nominated per us at SAFF... tell your children.. put it on your blog..to us the Merrill Simon Family is the OUTSTANDING ADOPTIVE FA

JERICHO'S LIFE MATTERS

These three little words that I posted on Facebook evoked a lot of emotions. Jericho's life matters. Why did I post those words?? Reality, Jericho had emergency surgery on July 8th. As I am writing this, he is still in PICU on a vent with no end in near sight. He is one sick boy, not a little boy, but soon to be an 18 year old man. I felt that the ones who should care about Jericho, did not. I felt that the ones that should be visiting Jericho were not. Bottom line, I spoke out as a mom in pain, hurting and tired. But you know what, God is in control. A wonderful person reminded me not to let negative thoughts enter my mind. She was and is right, but still, Jericho's life matters. Jericho has Cornelia de Lange. He also has PICA. PICA is what put him here. It is the uncontrolled need to eat things that are non food items. We spend each and every day pulling things out of Jericho's mouth. Even the younger kids know to holler when they see Jericho trying to eat something. It i